Thursday, January 5, 2012

Crossroads and Decisions

I've reached a point where I'm going to have to make some decisions. It happens, things don't always go like we hope. Obstacles get thrown in our way and we have to decide which path to take to get around these obstacles. We can stay where we are spinning our wheels and trying to hang on to something that is clearly not working out or we can choose the easy path or the more difficult, but most likely better path, around the obstacle. That is where I am now after doing quite a few months of wheel spinning instead of moving on.

Since it's a new year it seems like the perfect time to make some decisions and start things out right especially since this may be our last year on earth ...


A little humor always helps.

Anyway a little over three years ago I discovered the game of poker and fell head over heels, obsessively in love. I fell in love with the game and the poker community as a whole. I worked on learning everything I could about the game and worked on becoming a winning player. I was doing okay between February 2010 and April 2015 and had moved from a breakeven player to a small winning player and was loving every minute of the game. Then came the obstacle otherwise know as Black Friday when the U.S. Department of Justice shut down the three major poker sites. After losing my job the previous October I had thrown everything into improving my poker game and so for me April 15, 2011 dealt me a pretty crushing blow. I had a tough time getting over the feeling of being totally screwed over by my own government and getting over the loss of playing on a site that I dearly loved, PokerStars.

As I said, I've spent the last few months since April trying to figure out what to do. I've been playing since then on Merge but with the exception of October I haven't managed to have another winning month. So here I am standing at the crossroads trying to figure out which path to take.

On a side note, is having a blog and assuming more than two people, if that, even give a rats ass what I have to say egotistical and arrogant? I tend to think it might just be but I digress...

I'm considering the following:

The difficult and scary but possibly very rewarding path - Investing in a franchise and starting an elderly care business.
The easy but very unrewarding path - Getting a regular job in some field in which I have some experience.
The wheel spinning stagnant path - Continue trying to make a living playing poker.

So there it is, path one will more or less mean giving up poker for now because I doubt seriously I'll have any spare time. Path two will mean dropping poker for awhile but probably picking it back up in a few months. I tend to think I'm to the point where taking an extended break from poker is a good thing for me to do, as hard for me as it will be. Ah but the conundrum, winners never quit and quitters never win but I think it's at least necessary to make a decision between one and two and take that much needed break or give up poker completely.

I'll know more about the franchise opportunity in a few days and if anyone actually cares I'll keep this blog updated as to my decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment