Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The rapidly climbing ROI and other brags

Well I must say how nice it is to be on the positive side of variance. I've actually been running on the plus side for a week straight and finishing each night in the positive. I've not only been running well I've been playing well. Something has changed and it's somewhat in my play but mostly in my attitude. To be a winning poker player one must understand variance and manage tilt. Both of these can be tough to accomplish but I'm finally getting there.

One of the most important lessons I've learned lately is to see each situation as it truly is and not how I hope it is or want it to be. People tend to make statements and decisions based more on what they hope is the case instead of what they truly know or fear the case really is. Often many players will make a call because they want to believe their top pair top kicker is good instead of properly accessing the situation and realizing that based on their opponents actions during the hand that there is probably no way their hand is good. The flip side of this is folding when based on your opponents actions and/or tendencies it should be obvious that they are bluffing.

Poker is so much about attitude, of course it's about cards and luck but it's also as much about how you play those cards and how you manage the ups and downs. Staying calm and thinking clearly will go a long way in helping you win.

My ROI on Pokerstars and Full Tilt are both positive. On Full Tilt for all games played my ROI is 7% not great but not horrible either. On Pokerstars my ROI for all games is about 19% and for sit-n-goes its about 27%. This isn't over a huge sample size so it's really higher than it will end up over a bigger sample but it's still such an improvement. It is so nice to watch my ROI and graph going in the right direction. See below:



On a personal note, Tommy had his surgery last week and he's recovering pretty well. I don't think he realized quite how rough his surgery was going to be but he's handling everything pretty well. All the post-surgery reports were good, thank heavens!

Tommy's sister isn't doing that great. I just don't know what the outcome with her is going to be.

Well that's it for now! May your cards be live and your pots monsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment