Thursday, May 20, 2010

Adventures in finding my specialty...

I truly believe and have learned that winning online poker players are ones who specialize in a particular game. They play only that game and move up in stakes as they become better players and increase their bankrolls. You find this to be true with the vast majority of winning, successful pros and semi-pros. They may play some of the Sunday MTTS but Monday through Friday they grind their regular game.

Why is this true? Because by specializing you learn your chosen game backward and forward. You become familiar with the regular players and the structure and you hone your skills until you are great at that one game. It's very difficult to bounce from one type game to another and get really good at any of them so I'm trying to figure out what I want to specialize in and my next few blogs will be about my adventures in finding my niche in the crazy world of online poker.

Up until now I have bounced around trying to find a game I like and that I do well in with very mixed results. I thought I preferred multi-table sit-n-goes but the variance is very high and they take forever, even the turbo ones. I have never played a lot of 9 man single table sit-n-goes but I seem to be 1/2 way decent at them so I am going to play $6.50 9 man turbos for awhile and see how it goes. I will play about 200 - 250 of them and see what my win-rate and ROI are at the end of that and if they haven't caused me to go broke by that point I will stick with them until I've played 1000 of them and see how I did. If I've lost too much and haven't done well with them at the 250 mark I may switch to something else or drop down in stakes.

I will make weekly or twice weekly posts about my progress or lack of progress and I trudge ahead in my quest to find my specialty.

So wish me luck in my quests for specialization.


2 comments:

  1. Been on the same quest myself. Settled on 9-man SNGs for now, mostly for the lower variance (although, there's still plenty!) and the fact that the skill set should transfer well to many other games.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disclaimer: I have to finish the 45 man prop bet before I dive full force into single table madness.

    ReplyDelete