Sunday, February 23, 2014

Choosing to Win!


I am in charge of whether I win or lose at poker, 
and at life for that matter, me and only me. 
I can't control the cards, only the decisions I make.
I choose to stay positive and I choose to make good decisions. 
The road of negativity, frustration and blame is a dead-end. 
I will turn around and make winning happen!

Making this change from negativity to staying positive isn't easy and it takes constant work. I've had a pretty good 3 weeks since the coaching sessions and I've had 26 cashes. I've made 9 final tables and 5 were top 3 finishes and one of those was my first win in awhile. It felt so good to win one but for the first time in a long time I think had I finished 2nd instead of 1st I would have been okay with it. I played well, made good decisions and that is all I can do. As I say above the way the cards fall are out of our control. 

I'm getting much less frustrated late game and I'm letting the action happen as it will instead of trying to push it. I've stopped feeling like I have win every big pot and when beats happen and I lose a large chunk on my stack instead of going on major tilt I just get to work to try and build my stack back. Of course it doesn't always happen and when it doesn't I move on. 

A couple of things the guy I had the coaching sessions with said that have really stuck with me is 1. When we choose to play tournament poker we have to accept that most nights we go to bed a loser. 2. You know who cares about your bad beats? NO ONE! 3. It's all about choices, we choose to make the right decisions and play well or we don't, we choose to stay focused or we don't. 

I learned that I have nothing to prove to anyone and I don't care what anyone thinks of my game, except my backer of course, how I play is no one's business but mine. The goal is to play winning poker and how I manage it is my business and my business only! 

Tonight I saw a really good player make what at the time I considered a really bad play. I mentioned this play to some people in chat and they agreed it did sound like a bad play. This play was against me and he hit his card and because of the SPR I had to pay him off when he jammed the flop over my c-bet. So the play, even though it seemed bad and may not be a play one should make that often and it may actually be a losing play over a large sample, it got him doubled up. The more I talked about it the more I understood that just because the majority of players and even poker theory consider something fundamentally wrong doesn't mean you can't ever do it. With the small edge we have sometimes doing the most unexpected awards the greatest result. 

So all that said.....

Life is good today! 





No comments:

Post a Comment