Sunday, January 19, 2014

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me......


Was listening to the Doors and heard this song. How perfect is this for these damn long ass poker downswings? 

"I've been down so very long that looks like up to me! Why don't one of you people come on and set me free? Won't you break the lock and key?"

How many of us can say we've felt this way on more than one occasion? I know I can. I'm on one of those now and it seems like it will never end. I end most nights wondering why I even bothered to play. Yet I wake up the next morning and can't wait to start the abuse again. I'm starting to truly believe I may indeed be totally and completely bat shit crazy. You know what they say the meaning of insane is? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result. If that's true then I am without a single doubt BAT SHIT CRAZY! 



There are so many factors though; poker is truly tougher than ever but for US players the re-entries have turned the game of poker into more of a gamble than a game of skill. Hands one would never 4 bet jam now go flying into the middle 'cause, what the hell they can just re-enter. Bluffing doesn't work nearly as often as it should because again, so what if my 2nd pair is no good I can just re-enter. It comes down to who can afford to re-enter the most more than who's better at the game. 

There is a big argument that re-entries increase variance for weaker players but not for skilled players, that it gives skilled players a greater advantage. This is true, it does and well rolled skilled players have an even bigger advantage since they can re-enter as often as necessary, even though it kills their ROI. Overall though, skilled or not skilled, re-entries definitely increase variance. 

I truly believe this is why Bovada is growing so much and why it's so soft. Fish go broke much faster with re-entries, especially on Merge where the payout structure is so top heavy. It's a bit better on Winning: the late registration/re-entry period isn't as long and the payout structure is flatter allowing fish to cash more often and take longer to go broke. Also regs get tired of dealing with this too and many of them are moving a large portion of their play over to Bovada. 

Anyway just heard this song and got inspired to write about this. Time for up to feel like up but I've forgotten what up feels like. 

Onward and upward you crazy online poker players! Good luck with your Sunday grind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment