Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Part two of women in poker:


I have been thinking about this lady's tournament thing a bit more and I have a few after thoughts.

I think it's great that Pokerstars does satellite events for ladies only with seats to major ladies tournaments.

I think it's fine that they include a spa treatment in the package.

I think it rocks that they include a bootcamp with Vanessa Russo in the package.

I think I would attempt to win one of these packages.

Do I think that it makes me less of a good player to play in a ladies only event, NO!

I think men who play in lady's tournaments are showing a blatant disrespect for women, why else would they bother to play in a ladies tournament otherwise.

I think it was silly and ridiculous for Shaun Deeb to show up for the ladies event in drag.

I think it was absolutely infuriating that another guy used a tampon for a card protector, talk about disrespect and it was in awfully bad taste.

If some men are low enough to play in a ladies event so be it. I just hope they get the butts kicked.

So point being, if ladies events get more ladies interested in poker then great! The more women that play the more likely we are to finally start winning some major events. Lady's events are a great way for ladies to start playing in live tournaments without being as intimidated as they might be in an open event and hopefully after playing a few lady's events they will progress to the open events and start kicking some mens butts.

Women are starting to really become a major factor in the poker world. This year so far women have made a great showing. Liv Boree won the EPT San Remo event and Vanessa Selbst won the Mohegan Sun NAPT event. Annette Orberstad has already won the WSOPE and won event 4 in the Aussie Millions this year. Hopefully this will be the year that a woman at least final tables the WSOP. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hopefully it won't be Annie Duke.

Disclaimer: For the most part I wouldn't consider myself a feminist, at least not in the way most people think of feminist. I don't mind if men open doors for me or pull out my chair, I appreciate it actually. I like old fashion manners and I don't think it makes me weak in anyway. I just think women can do whatever they want and they should be treated fairly.

P.S. One more thing - guys who try to make people think they are girls when playing online because they think it makes them look fishier really tick me off. Any ladies who try to hide the fact that they are ladies bugs me too. Be proud you are woman poker player and make sure the guys know they've had their butts kicked by girl!

It's always funny when I take 3/4 of some guys stack and two or three players say things like "good bet dude", "nice hand buddy"! I promptly let them know I'm not a dude or a buddy. My username is DiamondDixie - quite feminine sounding I would think but guys just hate to think a female just outplayed them.

Edit: Just watched the video of Shaun's reason and apology for playing in the lady's event and while I think him playing and playing in drag was in poor taste I have to admit that had I been sitting at the table with him I might have died laughing. I tend to agree with some of his reasoning and appreciate the fact that he was planning on donating some of his winnings to a woman's charity.




1 comment: