Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Choosing to be Victorious!


First thank you to my friend Kelly for posting this on Facebook. By my last bust of my first WSOP trip I was feeling all these negative feelings. I was feeling totally defeated and had decided I could never be good enough to beat this game of poker that I so love. After getting home and having time to rest and reflect I realize that I spent a lot of time "saying" I work hard at poker but do I really?

What is working hard? Is playing a lot working hard? Do I even play a lot, or nearly as much as I should? Do I spend enough time reviewing my game and looking for reasons why I lose?   Do I spend enough time studying and watching videos or reading to learn new ways to approach the game? The answer to most of these things is no, I don't.

So instead of blaming my losses on variance and other things it's time to figure out what I need to do to win. Time to stop talking and start working, really working. Time to realize I do have what it takes to beat this game if I just spend more time playing my A game and a lot less time on auto pilot playing my C game.

We all play our C game at times but the real winners play their A game much more than their C game and as we improve our A game our C game improves as well so that those times when we slip into our C game we are still playing a winning game. Right now my C game is not a winning game. My A game is but I don't play it often enough. I'd venture to say that I play my A game about 30% of the time I play and the rest of time I'm playing my B or C game. Then I complain about running bad when in reality I'm just not playing as well as I'm capable of. 

In Vegas I really did get the bad end of the cards a lot of the time but made plenty of mistakes and some times I just totally spewed. I do the same online and I've gotten to where I play much too loose in the wrong spots. So instead of giving up and feeling defeating I hope to turn this experience into inspiration and use it to get my game where it needs to be and end victoriously. 

3 comments:

  1. not only that--vegas is one of the hardest cities to win in--too many grinders. much easier anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if i was u, madam. i would go to florida(tourist,retireees, military bases(so lot of x service men with pensions like in jax and tampa bay). vegas is sweet,too. STUpid UNGER just is a fish.

      Delete
  2. So instead of giving up and feeling defeating I hope to turn this experience into inspiration and use it to get my game where it needs to be and end victoriously.

    I hope you are feeling better about poker now that you've had some time to decompress.

    ReplyDelete