Sunday, May 22, 2011

Time for a change...


The title of this blog is not a pun on Obama's hope and change but seriously how is that hope and change working out for you. For me it isn't working out well at all. I've purposely avoided discussing my personal feelings about life after "Black Friday" but I guess it's about time I talk about it. Things have pretty much sucked since that day. I loved playing online poker and I loved playing at PokerStars. In the beginning of my poker playing days I chose to play on Players Only/Cake because at that time the Cake network was much bigger and better than it is today and I felt more comfortable playing there than I did on PokerStars and Full Tilt. For a new player the network was much softer and fields were much smaller so it was a great place to learn the game.

In August of 2009 I made my first deposit on PokerStars and then in September I deposited on Full Tilt. I was still a pretty big fish in those days so for the first few months I pretty much deposited, lost it in a month or two and made another deposit. Then in February 2010 things started to turn around on PokerStars and it was all uphill after that. That is until April 15, 2011. For more of how I began playing poker I cover it here in my first blog.

I had played on Carbon a little during the first year I played on PokerStars so it was an easy move there for me and I even had a few dollars on the site. I knew it wouldn't be the same but I never imagined how bad it would really be. I had advanced to the mid-stakes MTTs and MTSNGs on Stars and had a comfortable bankroll for those stakes. Now I'm not comfortable having much money online due to all the uncertainty so like so many people I'm back to playing low and even micro stakes and it's really funny how much harder it is to go backward than it was when I played those stakes a year or so back. Not to mention I've been running bad and just can't get in enough volume to balance the variance.

Most days I just feel like giving up online poker completely but then what? It's also like admitting defeat and I hate doing that. I just feel like the cat who's been kicked to the curb. I really don't know what to do with my time and I'm just losing my love of the game. PokerStars was an amazing poker site with great customer service and terrific volume. The games were great, the guarantees were wonderful and it's so enjoyable playing there. No other site can even come close to comparing.

So for now I'm still trying to figure it out and decide what I want to do. So much is just up in the air. I honestly don't think that the site available now will be around too much longer for US players, I hate to say it but it just doesn't look good.

For what it's worth I believe strongly that Caesar's entertainment and their friend and puppet Harry Reid had a big hand in the DOJ going after PokerStars and Full Tilt. Reid has introduced a new bill that will highly benefit his home state of Nevada. By ridding Caesar's of their two biggest competitors, PokerStars (and their partnership with Wynn) and Full Tilt, the road is paved with gold for Caesar's when and if federal legislation is past. I'm amazed, disgusted and appalled that our government has become what it has and both sides are equally to blame. More about Reid's attempts can be found here.

For now I wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment